Thursday, September 14, 2006

 

10 weeks used to seem like a long time

Well, today we are only 10 weeks out from Braden's due date. 30 down 10 to go. Last night I stayed up late again cleaning out what used to be my closet and is now Braden's closet. The closet is clean... now everything is out in the middle of the room. So tonight guess what I'll be doing! As we close in on counting weeks in single digits, the % of thought that is baby-related continues to increase, as you could imagine. At work I've been talking to my boss at every opportunity to insure that someone will be hired to cover for me prior to my leave. At this point there is no one to cover my job when he is born. At home I spend much of my time preparing one thing or another for Braden's arrival. And any free time I have I am generally looking a baby-related stuff on the net. In general I am enjoying the experience of getting all of these things taken care of (some of them should have been done a couple years ago anyways).

An interesting note about fatherhood (or pre-fatherhood actually): Even in this era of increased expectations that men will assume greater responsibility for child-rearing, nearly all resources on becoming a parent cater to the mother. I am signed up to receive newsletters from Babycenter.com and even though when I filled out the profile I stated that I was the FATHER, every single newsletter refers to "mother's like you." There are a handful of websites dedicated to expectant fathers but they are second-rate compared to those available to mothers (and nearly all of them focus on two things: money and changing diapers). The one resource I did find that was pretty good was the book "The Expectant Father" written by a guy that found pretty much what I'm finding as far as quality resources for fathers-to-be.

Ah, yes. It is Thursday and I'm required to post my weight loss progress (even though Todd has been holding out on me). It was a disappointing morning, though I can't say that I'm surprised. The last two days have not been my most disciplined and I haven't done a lot of physical activity (unless cleaning out the closet qualifies). So here it is:

Starting weight: 230 lbs
Current weight: 222 lbs
Total weight loss: 8 lbs

Yes it's true I GAINED a lb over the last three days. But this has provided me with a little extra motivation to be more vigilant with my eating discipline and reinforced the fact that I must also exercise. I walked from Angela's office to mine today and plan to do the same tomorrow. Monday will be my next walk to work from home experience. My goal by the next posting is to get under 220. This may be difficult because this weekend I'm going to the lake with some friends and we will probably be having some good eats. Hopefully I'll manage that well.

Praise God.

Comments:
adam,
You are a wordsmith. All your blogs are entertaining. I'm just letting you know you have another reader. After Carlye goes to bed I check up on your epic battle with Todd and becoming a father (which I understand well), Todd's battle with poker, and Paige's thoughts on life.

Keep up the entertaining posts and good work on all the weight loss and walking!
 
Thanks for the encouraging words the other day. I have been trying to think of some words that might give you some encouragment during your time of reflection on fatherhood and while trying to attain your weight loss goal. Since I am not the wordsmith you are (as Andy so eliquintly put) here are my words of encouragment..... You are sexy and I love your ears.
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?