Monday, January 22, 2007

 

Carpet Igloo

Well, we survived the ice storm of 2007. After going over 200 hours without power I have learned the following:

Electricity makes life easier. The more you have (generally) the better off you are. When you have full power, life steams along at a normal pace. When you have none, life consists of a slow crawl back and forth between getting wood and stoking the fire. When you have a little (generator) you can crawl back and forth with a lamp on and pump all the water out of the basement at the same time.

Not having electricity makes life better. Nothing has been more clear to me over the last 9 days than the fact that I have great friends. Never did I have to ask anyone for help, on the contrary, I was turning away offers to help many times per day. It has also been interesting to hear the stories of others' experiences through this disaster.

Not having electricity makes life worse. My wife and child have been away for days and even before then I was gone so long during the day I saw them very little before I fell asleep each night.

Ice is powerful. This is undisputed by anyone within 100 miles of me right now.

Ice is beautiful. (story time) I decided that it was neccessary to obtain a generator to pump the water out of my flooded basement (different story). Supplies in the Springfield area were scarce and when you could find them they were overpriced and you had to wait in the freezing cold for hours to get one. So I decided to have one shipped from Memphis via DadEx. I met my father in Hardy, Arkansas to pick up the generator I had purchased from Home Depot in Bartlett, TN (thanks Dad). So on my way back I was looking around as I drove (I find the road a bit boring to watch). As I got closer to home, I noticed a drastic change in the scenery. It quickly morphed from a scene of leafless trees to a beautiful ice covered wonderland. I felt like I was in a giant crysal snowglobe or something. I looked around as the sun shone off the branches of thousands of trees (the glare did nearly blind me). Something came to mind that we had discussed on my last trip to Guatemala. Natural phenomena, when taking place outside the boundaries of our habitation, are considered to be beautiful, wonderous, and amazing. However, when these same phenomena occur within the boarders of our cities, we find them destructive and awful. The problem is not nature, it's that we feel that nature should not take its course in our back yards.

Doesn't it seem that people have this same view of God? God is nice to look at from afar but we don't want him playing in our yards for fear he might mess up what we have put in the way?

There will be more stories as I have time (there are plenty) but for now I will leave you with a shout out to all those who helped out during our time of need. Todd, Andy, and Tully: thanks for helping me create my new yard sculpture. Andy and Carlye: much love for the warm bed, coffee, food, and fellowship (oh and letting me hold Jack). My co-worker TJ for helping me get the generator up and running. My dad for taking his day off and spending it driving to get that generator to me. Andy and his dad for lending me space heaters. And to the dozens of people who called just to check in and offer assistance or a place to stay... you are all dear friends and Angela, Braden, and I are proud to have such a great group of people around us.

Praise God.

Comments:
Son you’re welcome, glad I could help being so far away.
I know you been busy and away from your wife and son. But
I would love to see updates on my Grandson.
This should give you a little taste of how we feel down here not able to see Braden, and of course you and Angela Ha Ha
Love Dad
 
Loved your blog! Thanks for the reminder of God's greatness! The ice was amazing, trecherous, but incredibly beautiful! We are SO glad you guys have your power back!! Please let us know if there is anything we can do to help you in your "rennovation" of the basement! :) We love you guys!!
 
It was a beautiful sight to behold. Who knew a carpetberg could be so inspiring?
 
just waiting for an update. your comment on my blog was hilarious...i'm still laughing. i thought about just copying and pasting it as a new blog entry.
 
Thanks for writing this.
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?